HIV / AIDS Care & Support Project
Blossom provided community based care and support for HIV / AIDS infected in Virudhunagar, Sivakasi, Sathur, Watrap, and Kariyapatti blocks. The project was funded by PWDS, Marthandam, AIDS Alliance UK and Abbott Labs US. The program aimed to provide the community with basic medical and nutritional treatment, counseling and education.
children support groups
The Children Support Groups (CSGs) were valuable for the emotional wellbeing of HIV/AIDS affected children. The groups helped the children build a stronger sense of self esteem and taught the children how to help themselves. The Children Support Groups still exist today and are now part of our Buds Network.
- The members met once every 3 months
- They discussed their problems and issues regarding the health status of family member.
- They shared the information regarding treatment improvements and follow-up measures
- They discussed and shared their emotions and feelings, improving moral suppor
- Most people are now aware of ways to identify STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections) symptoms and the need for regular and comprehensive treatment.
- People understand clearly that STI can be completely prevented when both partners are ready for and comply with testing and treatment.
- By distributing condoms to the high risk and suspected women in pregnancy, their lives can be spared.
- HIV+ individuals are counseled about how to live their lives.
- Parents and Children with HIV who are taking ART (Antiretroviral Treatment) became free of opportunistic infections and are now able to live normal lives.
- Ensures regular counseling to family members through continuous home visits.
|Intervention||Activity / Programme||
No. of Beneficiaries
|STI||Meeting with SHG’s||67|
|Information Education and Communication||IEC Printing||3500|
|Prevention||Meeting with Training on Sex & Sexuality, CONDOM Distribution||15000|
|Voluntary Counselling and Testing||Pre-test counseling, HIV Test, Post-test
|ART||Referral for Anti Retro Viral Drugs, Number of individuals receiving information on ART||50|
|Home Based Care||Skill training to PLHA support group leaders in Home care training, Medicine supply, Emergency relief, IGP seed money||320|
|Children Affected By AIDS||
|NUTRITION||Providing Nutritional Food Supplements
Nutrition demonstration cum education
“Blossoming of power in every individual” to reinforce community development.
To facilitate a process where marginalised groups can become self-sufficient in improving their health, environmental, economic and social needs. To achieve this by working in partnership with other development actors in the spirit of art, culture and